Monday, November 20, 2006

Malaria + dysentery

Well, no long run this week. In fact, no runs at all. I came down with malaria and amoebic dysentary and spent a couple of days in the hospital. Feeling better now but still a bit tired and weak.

I rode my bike to the market in Bambui in Saturday and that went well, particularly since I ate before coming back and that gave me strength. I went for a short and easy 3 mile run on Sunday morning which wasn't too bad. It was more of a lope than a run, really. But this morning (Monday) I didn't feel strong enough to run. I did about 45 minutes of yoga, though, and that felt good.

During the time I was in the hospital, I had numerous people pray for me -- friends of friends back in the US, the elders of the church where I passed out after Sunday services (what a scene that was!), and various staff and visitors to the hospital. Somehow, when you are very weak and ill, it is easier to experience the power of prayer. If nothing other than having all those people thinking and caring about me, it was strengthening.

No comments: