Sunday, February 04, 2007

Running keeps me sane

This week's stats:

Mon:    Yoga 50min
Tue:    Run 5.04mi      46:43
Wed:   
Thu:    Run 6.49mi      57:50
Fri:    Run 3.1mi       30.07
Sat:    Run 10.5mi      1:44:29
Sun:    Bike 11mi       57:02

Tuesday night I has a work-related dinner in Bamenda and ate way too much. I haven't done that in a very long time and it had the same effect on me as if I had drunk too much. I felt awful. Wednesday morning, I still didin't feel very good and certainly not up for going to a run in strange territory (stayed overnight in Bamenda), so I didn't. Thursday morning, for some bizarre reason, I believed my mind when it said that I could just turn on the computer and let it do the work of downloading e-mails and then come back and look at them later (sometimes it takes a long time to download e-mails because I have a very, very slow connection--through my cellphone). But as always, always happens when I sit in front of the computer, I became transfixed and it was midday before I could unglue myself. The worst part of this was that my experience with the computer (with the Internet connection specifically) was one of complete and utter frustration.

So I learned a few things about myself. One is that even when utterly frustrated, there is some other part of me that is doggedly persistent, blindly optimistic. I can't let go. I can't just drop it and come back later. (Hmmm, this sounds sooo like some arguments with my spouse. . .) The second thing I learned is that I really, really, really need to go running. I was so much more sane after I finally got out and ran. Much calmer and much more able to walk away from utter frustration and go, "I don't need this right now."

"Action removes the doubt that theory cannot solve."

That saying comes to mind so often these days.

No comments: