Monday, March 12, 2007

In the nick of time

Well, I went for my long run early Sunday morning and I was just in the nick of time. An hour after I came back, the rain started to pour and lasted most of the day. Luckily I didn't wait until after church to go or I would have had to run in the rain, not my favorite thing. There were a few drops when I went out and so I wore a hat (which I never do -- too hot on the head and well, it messes up my hair <;) ), but the sprinkle never turned into anything until later.

Ran 13 miles and it was good to break my 12 mile mental barrier. However, planning my route so that the last 1.5 miles was uphill -- not the smartest move. I walked at least half a mile of it. Phewy.

Really got back into doing yoga almost daily this week and that felt really, really good.

Last week:

Mon:   
Tue:    Run 5.04mi      44:56
        Yoga    60min
Wed:    Run 4.02mi      35:51
        Yoga    60min
Thu:    Run 7.02mi      63:09
        Yoga    12min
        Cycle 9.06mi    45:11
Fri:    Run 3.09mi      31:25
Sat:    Cycle 8.93mi    45:43
        Yoga    25min
Sun:    Run 13.11mi     2:08:07
        Yoga    30min

I've been doing a lot of thinking about forgiveness. Having a Lenten practice to forgive one person/thing each day is really difficult, but it is a great practice because it forces me to look at why it is so difficult.

The first thing I ran up against was the thought-form "who am I to forgive so and so?" That is, it seemed the height of arrogance. Isn't forgiveness God's job? And what if the person doesn't feel like they need or want forgiveness, especially from me?

Just a few days ago, I became aware that I was still very angry about something that happened to me a year ago. It was something I should have (rightfully) had some control over -- or so I thought then and still do -- but in the end, I did not have any control over -- and it radically altered the course of my life. At the time, my response was to just "get it" and move on. But the anger and resentment remains. So it occurs to me that forgiving, in this instance, would be really helpful for me. I doubt the other people involved give a hooey and I'm sure they don't think they did anything that needs forgiving.

I am not sure how to do this in a way that really works -- that is authentic and "does the trick" so to speak. But I am praying about it.

I sure wish this could all be as simple as forgiving some harried commuter who cut me off on the highway. . .

2 comments:

Scott Hughes said...

You have a good routine. I try to Yoga everyday, except Tuesday and Thursday. Thanks!

You might like the Yoga Discussion Forum.

Faithful Soles said...

Rev, as always, a great post from both a running and spiritual perspective. Keep up the great work on your training.

I wanted to also follow up and thank you again for linking your blog to our running Blog Database. It has now grown to bloggers from 37 states in the US and 21 other countries of all ages and abilities and has become a great resource for members to find blogs that meet their specific goals and interests.