Monday, August 13, 2007

Compliments and Injury

Harrumpph.

I am not happy.

My hip has been annoying me most of the week. Sore, but not enough to stop me from working out. I did yoga (but not on Saturday) and did some IT band stretches, but I wasn't really worried about it. Sunday, I headed out for a short and fast version of my long run (relatively speaking -- the Mezam River run which is 11.5 miles -- and my coach told me I needed to work on my speed). I was doing really well for the first half, averaging about 8:10 min/mi and running with Spencer, a new guy to our club. The second half was a bit slower, down to 8:30, but still I was doing well. The hip was bothering me, but that was all.

I did keep adjusting my pelvic tilt and my general form because the hip was getting tight enough to alter my gait a bit. Then, about 8 miles into the run, I can feel my piriformis getting tight, I think it was actually cramping. By 9 miles I had to actually walk up hill, I could not lift my left leg (this is all happening on the left, the right is totally fine). I was so not happy. I had been on track to reduce my time (and make my coach happy, which I noticed made a difference to me). By the time I got to the hill just below Veterinary Junction and met Benedicta (who came down to spur me to finish fast), I stopped altogether and snapped at her when she suggested that I keep running. Sorry about that.

This morning I didn't go do our workout, but did an hour of yoga instead, but the hip is still hurting a lot. I'm hoping that a physiotherapist I just met last night will agree to give me a consult sometime later today.

I'm not good when I'm injured. It makes me irritable. I hope I can remember at least occasionally to have some compassion for myself and for those around me when I'm bitchy. . .

On a more positive note, as we were running through Ntarinkon market, Spencer said something to me, so I turned off my iPod and asked him. "They called you Siri, Siri." he said. "What does that mean?," I asked, thinking it was yet another derogatory word for white person or woman or something. "It means they are calling you a daughter of Bafut because you have run all the way out there," he told me. Oh, well then. Gee, thanks guys. That's sweet.

Totally changed my opinion of Ntarinkon market!

No comments: