Saturday, October 27, 2007

Marathon test tomorrow

Getting back into the swing of things now that I've returned to Cameroon. Our afternoon track workouts got displaced because the annual Trade Fair is now happening at Bamenda stadium, so we've moved to the Catholic Cathedral at Big Mankon. The hill workouts this week really wiped out my legs. . . I guess running the hills in Kampala as part of my runs there was *not* the same as doing fast hill repeats with the pressure of my team.

At any rate we are in the last stages of prep for the November races: 6 November, the Paul Biya 21km (he's the President) -- I'm not running this one; 10 November, the PMUC semi-marathon (half-marathon in Yaoundé) -- this one I am running; 24 November (I think, we still don't have any confirmation about the date), the SoNaRa Marathon.

After that, on 28 November I head to Madurai, India for a month to do Yoga Teacher Training. I'm very excited!

Tomorrow, I run our marathon test track -- Bamenda to Bafut to Bambui to Bamenda. Roughly 25-26 miles round trip from my house. I'm planning to try out Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk method which for me means running 4 minutes, walking 1 minute for the duration (or at least until about mile 18 where, if I feel great, I'm allowed to run the rest of the way). The last time I ran this track I did great for 3 hours and fine for the next half hour and then I just died. The point of the Run/Walk method is to avoid this, so I'm giving it a try.

On the more spiritual side of things, I am aware in a sort of "background" way how much both running and yoga maintain my sense of peace and well-being. I am beginning to see that without these, I have a very strong tendency to depression and anxiety -- to the extent that the state of anxiety was so normal for me that I didn't even know that was what I was experiencing.

Thank God and all those who've come before me for these daily practices. . .

No comments: