Saturday, November 03, 2007

Prepping

Man, I've been tired as all heck for the last week or so. I think I wasn't getting enough sleep, so I've tried to make sure I go to bed earlier. I got enthralled by "Boston Legal" whose Seasons 1-3 I bought when I was in Kampala (well, except the Season 2 disk was a copy of Season 1, rats). But even though I've been getting enough sleep, my times are still dead slow. Maybe I peaked too soon?

So Sunday I ran 20mi/32km. I did the Bamenda, Bafut, Bambui, Bamenda loop, using the Galloway run/walk method, but when I got to Bambui I was dead, so I just hopped in a taxi and went home. My fellow passengers were amazingly tolerant of my sweat-drenched body. . . When I got home, I realized that I had lost my key. And I discovered how solid my house is. It took awhile, but the only solution turned out to be to get an ironsmith (I have metal doors) and have him literally tear the door lock off the door. Which of course meant that I then needed to replace it. That was one expensive key, let me tell you.

I feel quite discouraged about the Sunday run. I decided to try Galloway's method based on Steve talking about it on the Phedippidations podcast and hoped that it would give me a faster time and preserve my legs. I think it may have lessened the impact on my legs, but that could have also been cutting out the last 10k, too. It definitely did NOT speed up my time. But I don't know if that is an effect of being so tired or what. Hmmph.

Last Wednesday evening was our last intervals session for awhile as we prep for the PMUC semi-marathon (10 November) and the SoNaRa marathon (25 November). This Sunday I'll run 10-12 miles, then just do a couple of easy 45-60 minute runs during the week before I head down to Yaoundé for the PMUC.

I recently read a chapter from Marcus Borg's "Reading the Bible Again for the First Time" on the prophets. This was for an online course I'm taking on the role of the deacon as prophet. That chapter has given me some deep, deep stuff to think about. When I read Borg saying, “now I am convinced that experiences of the sacred do happen, that the prophets had such experiences, and that such experiences were foundational to who they were, said, and did,” it was as if he’d knocked a hole in the wall between two compartments in me -- the one that holds my being a deacon, and ordained member of the institutional church and the one that holds my personal direct experiences of God. I feel like he just broke something open in me and now all I want is to become a “God-intoxicated voice of radical social criticism and God-intoxicated advocate of an alternative social vision.” (His definition of a prophet.)

I think I'll meditate on that during my run this Sunday.

No comments: