Monday, April 13, 2009

Last Buala long run

Sunday was my last long run here in Buala. Surprisingly (to me), I covered 7.5 mi, although I did a fair amount of walking. In part this was because I was tired. I sort of overdid it, but I was so excited by being able to get past the mud to the flat section, that I went out further than I should have. But in part, I walked and stopped just because I wanted to savor the experience. We had one heckuva tropical storm on Saturday it rained 11 hours straight and the water just poured off the tops of houses like a river. It was pretty amazing and made it clear just who is in charge here (the weather!). This made it even more amazing to me that my path wasnt completely flooded out. Its all about drainage I guess. But Sunday morning, Easter, began bright and sunny (though it did cloud over and rain more later). It was beautiful that fresh, clean after the rain feeling.

Rather than going up and over the killer hill after Kubalota, I decided to go over the rocks on the path I discovered the other end to last week. That was an adventure real scrambling, and trying to be very aware because the rocks were wet and very smooth from all the foot traffic. This is one of those times when I really wish my feet could handle the terrain without shoes, as the locals do. Ive watched them and they walk completely differently than I do, particularly when they are going over rocks. They can use their feet to curl over rock corners and grip things that I just slip off of.

I saw a few pigs along the route. One which was quite big and caused me a bit of pause, but they really are much more afraid of me. Since they expect all humans to be coming after them to turn them to dinner, I dont think they realize the damage they could do if they decided to. Lucky me! I also saw a beautiful flock of red birds fly overhead, but I didnt get my camera out before they settled onto the tops of the trees. I waited for a bit in the hopes that they would take flight again, but no luck.

Ive just read Running: the sacred art by Warren A. Kay and I would highly, highly recommend it to anyone interested in how to encourage more spirituality in their runs. Kay teaches a course called Spirituality and Running at Merrimack College in Massachusetts and the book is really quite good. He is a Christian, but he writes from a broader perspective and the message and exercises in the book are definitely not specific to any particular faith.

http://www.amazon.com/Running-Sacred-Preparing-Practice-Spiritual/dp/1594732272/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239581348&sr=8-1

Tomorrow I fly to Honiara for a week and I am really, really looking forward to running on the roads!

2 comments:

Bong said...

Sounds like you not only had a good workout but also enjoyed the surroundings and sceneries of that island paradise during your run. Take care and have a good week ahead.

Drusy said...

Wow! what a cool place to live! How much longer will yo be there?
Thanks for you comment on my blog. Here's the answer I put there, in case you don't check back -
Rev Tracy, I really think that Lyle McDonald has a broader scope than the physiquetransformation people. I bought his Protein Book and there is a chapter on nutrition for endurance athletes. And his Quick Weight Loss book is available online for $10, instead of the $8/mo for the PFA programme.
Its tough, but somehow I can stick with a very limited diet if I know its not for long. Lyle has agree to be on RRT on July 15th, which will be great. Can you get to a computer at 4EST?