Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Review: Paleo Fitness by Darryl Edwards


My friend Darryl Edwards, aka the Fitness Explorer has finally written his (hopefully first) book, Paleo Fitness. Despite my disappointment that it was not actually Darryl on the cover, I eagerly flipped open and started to read this first contribution to the Paleosphere from the UK. 

There have been so many books recently on the Paleo/Primal lifestyle, you are almost certainly wondering what else someone could contribute. But I am here to tell you that this book is a must have -- a crucial addition to anyone's library. First of all, Paleo Fitness is the best introductory book I have yet to see. Darryl describes the basic concept of Paleo and the benefits of adopting this lifestyle. He describes the basics of Paleo nutrition in a way that is very accessible. There are many other books which describe more in-depth the science of the Paleo way of eating, but Paleo Fitness lays out the basic concepts so clearly that I know this will be my first "go to" book, from which I might branch out to others which provide more details.

Why? For one thing, the layout of Paleo Fitness is so well done. It makes it incredibly easy to use as a reference book. You can just grab it and read about why gluten is a problem, for example. He lays out two weeks of meal plans which gave me a lot of ideas about how I could put together interesting Paleo meals. Usually, I skip the meal plan part of books like this because so much doesn't apply to me. But there is something about the way Paleo Fitness laid out the meals that served to spark my own creative thinking about potential meals. In addition, drawing upon both his British and Caribbean heritage, Darryl provides some very interesting and diverse recipes (Jamaican Jerk Chicken!, T'ibs We't!).

The largest section of the book is devoted to Paleo workouts and here Darryl provides excellent guidance, a workout plan/schedule for three different levels, and explicit exercise instructions. This is another place where the book's format really shines. The workout plans are laid out week by week for a month for Level I, II, and III. Exercises are described with a good level of detail and, perhaps most importantly, photographic demonstrations. 

The books ends with an FAQ section which is very useful.

There are other books written on the Paleo lifestyle which would allow you to geek out on the science behind the idea. There are some beautiful & elaborate cookbooks. But Paleo Fitness is absolutely my favorite "intro to Paleo" book and the one I will be recommending to anyone who wants to learn about what this whole Paleo thing is all about.

One other note: Darryl is British and so the entire approach and tone of Paleo Fitness is one of measured common sense. I found this immensely refreshing.

To buy Paleo Fitness: http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Fitness-Training-Nutrition-Program/dp/1612431658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370410056&sr=8-1&keywords=Paleo+fitness

For fun, go check out the Paleo Fitness book page on Facebook where many are posting photos of reading Paleo Fitness as so:






No comments: